Thursday 3 February 2011

If you give a little love, you can get a little love of your own




So the past few days here have been a little weird to be honest - a lot of reminders of things going on back home made the freakishly gorgeous weather on Sunday a little bittersweet.
 But as always, I can't underestimate the powers of my best friends in Newcastle to be incredibly grounded and understanding and put things into perspective. Not to mention the beautiful multi-national ladies of Alexander who are an amazing distraction from anything and everything serious- bring on spring break in the Bahamas! 

Speaking of which, I was directed towards this little beauty last night during a bit of escapist holiday excitement. Needless to say it looks like a nightmare. I can't wait. 

Saturday night was another of Raleigh's finest house parties: I actually say this without the irony, it was pretty cool. They had turned the basement into a little dubstep hub with an ACTUAL DJ (unusual- most hosts seem to think that an ipod with a pair of free speakers from a local bank should suffice) and pretty lights and things. 
There was even a keg and red cups. 


But, as we have now come to expect- the cops came. I of course responded with the immediate dropping of my red cup and a silent grip of Emily, my fellow English and underage friend's arm. Proceeded by a mini freak-out, an assessment of the garden fence and whether we reckoned we could jump it, then eventually a surprisingly easy little jog out the front door, singing 'Rule Britannia' all the way down the road. I have since learned that the owners of the house were fined something around the $400 mark for a combination of noise pollution and serving alcohol to minors (that would include myself i guess, sorry guys) so won't be in the financial situation to have another one for about a year. But ultimate respect to them for taking one for the team! A good night anyway, and much needed.

Today my poetry class was cancelled, so in place of that I need to get down to writing our poem of the week, to submit by 9pm. The theme this time is a speaker addressing someone, so writing it to 'you', set in a particular situation. Perhaps trying to be overly clever, I've been sitting here brainstorming, trying to figure out what a young female speaker might say to an unborn child in the womb. But somehow I can't get inspired. I don't want to cause any abortion controversy. This is the south, after all. Anyone have any better ideas? 

There's only so long I can sit here drawing foetuses (foeti?) in the margin of my notebook.


x






Listening to: Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down by Noah and the Whale
Post title from 'Give a Little Love'
Have a listen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment