Monday 24 January 2011

Lucas, I miss you



Yesterday was amazing. Not quite the lazy Sunday I had planned- but so much better.

 My idea to spend the day catching up on work, sleep, laundry and reading went down the pan the second my very impulsive friend Megan and her friend Camilla, who was visiting from Australia, came into my room babbling a spur of the moment plan to rent a car and drive to the coast. To a gorgeous little town called Wilmington, more specifically. Which I had heard of plenty of times before, simply for the fact that my beloved One Tree Hill is filmed there. So, despite all the work I now still have to slog through, I was never really going to say no was I?

For those of you unfamiliar with OTH (and i don't judge you- it is cheesey and unrealistic to an extent but just so you know you ARE missing out...) I will just explain that the rivercourt is pretty iconic and epitomal to the story. A bit of a hotspot for all that teenage angst as well as a beautiful setting to emphasise the small-town homely atmosphere and, come to think of it, actually just a place for all the basketball players to get topless and bring in a few thousand extra viewers, it couldn't be more perfect a place for 3 out-of-towners who have sat through 8 seasons of emotional adolescent drama to bring us to this life-defining point.


- example of said angst.





Okay, so maybe life-defining was a slightly strong term. 

It was amazing though. Particularly in the stunning backdrop of that blazing red North Carolina sunset. The lights on the river started to remind me of Newcastle: the river Tyne with the slowly merging lights of the Millenium Bridge and all the quayside's nightlife reflecting off the water. Perhaps for the first time since being here, I felt the first pang of home-sickness. In retrospect, it was more of an appreciation of home as seen through the sights of North Carolina, rather than a real desire to be back there. I know the Tyne will always be there the next time my Northern Rail train chugs over the bridge and pulls into Central Station. 

But for now, the crisp southern-coastal air is more than enough to keep me content.







x















No comments:

Post a Comment